My diagnosis: All good is coming from this situation

allgoodthingsI found out I had Type 2 diabetes via email on January 22, 2014.

After turning 30 recently, I was very proud of myself for purchasing health insurance and seeing a doctor for the first time in over two years. Being overweight and having a family history of diabetes, I was concerned I could potentially be pre-diabetic, but I had been making positive (though casual) changes in my lifestyle and diet for a few months. I didn’t quite expect that fasting blood sugar to come back at 170 (people without diabetes have blood sugar levels between 60 and 120).

Initially, I was shocked, upset, angry, and disappointed with myself. Though I was grateful to receive the news via email, so I could ugly cry in the fetal position and then call my mom. I’m not one to dwell, so that really only lasted about 15 minutes before I was brainstorming action plans.

I had a follow up with my PCP today, where I was adamant that I treat myself through diet and exercise before we consider prescription drugs. I have three months until follow up blood tests to begin to heal myself.

How do I begin to heal myself from a disease that, for many people, becomes a lifelong affliction? Well, I’m pretty sure it’s going to change as I find out what works for me and what doesn’t. I believe every body is different, and that there’s not a one-size-fits-all solution to eating, weight loss, or healthy living. I’ve tried a lot of methods in the past that have had results for a period and then haven’t.

What I will do:

• Eat whole, organic foods. No packages, preservatives, or GMOs.
  • Significantly up the plant-based foods. 80-90% of my total diet.
  • Listen to my body: what it wants, when it’s hungry, and when it’s full.
  • Limit sugar and alcohol.
  • Practice enjoyable, uplifting daily movement (for me, that’s yoga, Zumba, dancing, walking, and swimming).
  • Meditate twice a day.
  • Repeat healthy living mantras.
  • Consume inspiring health-related books, films, and media.
  • Surround myself with positive, inspiring, and healthy people.

What I won’t do:

• Go fully vegan. I love to taste and enjoy all that life has to offer, just now it’ll be in moderation.
  • Eat “diet” food. I hate cottage cheese and rice cakes more than anything.
  • Let one meal derail my progress. Things happen. Fall down seven times and get up eight.
  • Have this one part of me become my identity. I am not a victim, and I am in control of my life.
  • Let other people make my decisions for me.
  • Let my diet keep me from having fun and enjoying life.

Like my Best Life Ever card says, All good is coming from this situation. Now is the time to make positive changes in my life. And that is a great thing.

Starting Stats:

• Weight: 243
  • BMI: 40.4
  • Fasting blood glucose: 170
  • Blood pressure: 130/70
  • Cholesterol (LDL): 118
  • Cholesterol (HDL):  30
  • Hemoglobin A1c: 9.8
Advertisements

Tagged: , , ,

11 thoughts on “My diagnosis: All good is coming from this situation

1. Kit Murray Maloney January 29, 2014 at 4:31 am Reply

Inspiration exudes from every word in this post. Congrats to you and know that you are surrounded by love and support through the journey. To a healthier even more badass you. xx

2. Maggie February 6, 2014 at 3:25 am Reply

I am thinking of you, lady, and following along. I hope we talk soon! xox

3. Shannon February 6, 2014 at 3:43 am Reply

I’m crazy proud of you for tackling this head on! Just like everything you do, I’m sure you’re going to kick some serious booty. If you need any moral support, I’ll be right here cheering you on:) xoxo

ps You didn’t list spin as one of your favorite “get sweaty” activities, but if you do like to hop on a bike like I do, several of the new studios in Boston have their first class for free!

4. Melissa February 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm Reply

I love you and know, with every fiber of my being and everything I know to be true about you: YOU GOT THIS. Just one more way that you’re inspiring me every day with your badassery, and I’m in your corner every step of the way if you need anything at all. Go, Tara, go! xoxo

5. Erika February 6, 2014 at 5:00 pm Reply

I like to think about my eating as “paying attention” to the food choices I make rather than making “good vs bad” choices. I think it’s a healthier and happier way to approach eating!

6. cldem February 20, 2014 at 12:50 pm Reply

I am so excited to see you take this journey! I love that you are taking this on naturally first, and are being rational about what you can and cannot maintain.

A family friend found out he was diabetic last summer, and through diet and exercise got his sugars under control while also losing nearly 60 pounds already.

You can do it!

7. Jessica February 26, 2014 at 3:56 am Reply

I was just diagnosed on Monday. I was tested by my fertility doctor, who then proceeded to mention my sugars had been tested and out of control throughout my last few doctor appointments with various other physicians and no one said a word. I’m working to get my sugars down within three months so that I can start my first round of treatments. I look forward to seeing your progress.

• Tara B. April 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm Reply

Ugh, so sorry that doctors didn’t tell you sooner! Good luck, stay strong, and you can do it!

8. […] I can miraculously be completely healthy in just three months? Well, kinda. But like I mentioned in my very first post, I’m not being completely strict… only 80 to 90%. Because I have to live like this […]

9. connie April 16, 2014 at 6:16 pm Reply

This year I also found I have type 2 diabetes. Like you I also have chosen the drug free way. I lowered my bs from 129 to 92 from Dec. to March. My Dr. was happy with me and told me to keep up the good work. I am also like you in the fact that I am really gung ho for something and then when it gets old or I get tired of it I just go back to my old ways. I am enjoying reading about your journey and find it very motivating for myself, and I need that to keep myself on the right track…..it is my life this time and I want to live it as long as possible. Thank you, I am a fan and wish you well….Connie

10. […] recap, I was diagnosed on January 22, started Mind Mouth Mantra on January 28, went (mostly) gluten-, dairy-, caffeine-, […]