The fun part of making lifestyle changes is trying new things. Though I’ve had seitan before, I had never cooked with it or really knew what it is until this recipe.
Seitan is vital wheat gluten, the protein part of wheat. It has a “meaty” texture, so it substitutes nicely for animal protein in a lot of preparations. Like tacos.
Tacos are all about the spices and the accoutrements, and since vegetarian protein truly takes on the flavors you cook with, seitan is an easy, heart healthy substitute for ground beef.
Vegan Seitan Tacos
makes 2 servings (4 tacos)
- 1 16-oz. package of seitan, like Upton’s Naturals
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Kapha Surya spice blend (optional)
- 4 Tbsp. black bean salsa, like NOLA
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- Hot sauce, to taste, like Cholula
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet. Add package of seitan and crumble.
- Add spices and sauté until seitan is heated through, about 4 minutes.
- In a heated, dry skillet, warm corn tortillas one at a time until flexible, 3 minutes, flipping once.
- Add seitan and toppings to corn tortillas. Fold and enjoy.