Drumroll, Please: 3 Month Update

tara-3-month-update

Selfie, May 7

Alright, everyone! It’s the moment I’ve been counting down to for the last three months: my followup test results. Let’s see how I did:

To recap, I was diagnosed on January 22, started Mind Mouth Mantra on January 28, went (mostly) gluten-, dairy-, caffeine-, and alcohol-free at the beginning of April (plus increased my activity level with more walking, yoga, & Zumba), started the 10-Day Detox on April 22, officially finished on May 1 (though I still continue most of the practices), and had my follow up blood tests on May 7. For the visual types, here’s a handy timeline:

tara-timeline-3mos

So here are my stats from January:

• Weight: 243
  • BMI: 40.4
  • Fasting blood glucose: 170
  • Blood pressure: 130/70
  • Cholesterol (LDL): 118
  • Cholesterol (HDL):  30
  • Hemoglobin A1c: 9.8

And here they are now:

• Weight: 243 220
  • BMI: 40.4 36.6
  • Fasting blood glucose: 170 Not tested on May 7, but I tested at home 110 on Day 7 of Detox
  • Blood pressure: 130/70 110/60
  • Cholesterol (LDL): 118 92
  • Cholesterol (HDL):  30 19
  • Hemoglobin A1c: 9.8 6.5

23 pounds lost and a dramatic drop in my A1c are pretty great results for the short period! My amazing doctor at One Medical was so thrilled, she hugged me. And I’m excited to announce we’re continuing on the drug-free path. I still have elevated fatty liver levels, so she’s recommending an abdominal ultrasound, but otherwise, all is good for another three months of working toward weight loss and a healthier pancreas.

For those of you who are going through similar struggles, know that you can do it! Every positive change you make is worth it, because the other side has boundless energy and truly unstoppable feelings of accomplishment.

How is your health journey progressing?

Advertisements

Tagged: , ,

15 thoughts on “Drumroll, Please: 3 Month Update

1. Andy Horton May 15, 2014 at 1:24 pm Reply

Well done Tara I know it can be difficult especially at the beginning. You have jumped the first hurdle but now is the time to really focus and keep going. Good luck!

2. Advice Unsolicited May 15, 2014 at 1:43 pm Reply

Congrats! I’m following your healthy journey from California (not to mention stealing the healthy recipes), and it’s very inspiring. Keep it up!

3. No results found for May 15, 2014 at 1:45 pm Reply

Congrats! I’m following your healthy journey (not to mention stealing your healthy recipes) from California, and it’s very inspiring. Keep it up!

4. Keyse May 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm Reply

Congrats!!!!!! This is amazing

5. Jacqueline Church May 15, 2014 at 2:22 pm Reply

Very good news. Keep up the good work! Congratulations!

6. Alisa May 15, 2014 at 2:41 pm Reply

Congratulations!!! I’m really proud of you and with you every step of the way (at least in spirit).

7. Melissa May 15, 2014 at 2:57 pm Reply

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: YOU ARE A BADASS. I’m so happy for you, I’m literally crying tears of joy right now. Such discipline, so inspiring. Sending high fives and hugs as massive as your progress from Austin today. ❤

8. Maggie May 15, 2014 at 3:21 pm Reply

Excellent job. You have inspired me to do the same thing for my prediabetes diagnosis. I also have high blood pressure and was happy to see that it can get better by eating healthier and exercising. Thanks.

9. ladyharvey May 15, 2014 at 3:23 pm Reply

This has got to be the best thing I have read all week! I have Crohn’s disease and also follow a strict diet to manage my health. Mine is a little different than yours as I also don’t eat sugar or starch, but I do drink caffeine and wine! I started my diet a year ago and I know that the first few months of adjusting to a new eating/cooking routine can be super tough. I am here to tell you that it gets easier, you learn more and more yummy things to make all the time, and before you know it the diet will become a normal part of your life. Keep up the great work!

10. SunnyDee Horton May 15, 2014 at 4:15 pm Reply

Girly – you have no idea how proud I am of you. This is fantastic news and I know more awesomeness is yet to come. You’ve made an amazing change in your life and I am so privileged to share the journey via your blog. YOU ROCK!

11. newdressaday May 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm Reply

So amazing, girl!! So. Amazing. Yay!!! xo

12. Gloria June 3, 2014 at 8:24 am Reply

I’m so happy to find your blog. I do know how hard it is to change. I’m 72 now and STILL haven’t done it. I was diagnosed with Diabetes in 1996 and the math says that’s 18 years ago! I hope everyday to be successful. I’ve watched as I’ve progressed from glucose intolerant in 1996 to oral meds as well as 2 different kinds of insulin daily. Please keep on this path that will get you to wellness.

13. Valerie Leap June 5, 2014 at 7:11 pm Reply

Wow, way to go! I saw your story on the Everyday Health newsletter, so I came over to see your blog. You are awesome and I wish you continued success!!! I was diagnosed type 2 and am managing with Metformin and just trying to be a little smarter about what I eat. I need to do better, My A1c was really good last check, but I still need to exercise more and eat healthier. I am a work in progress!

14. laura June 7, 2014 at 7:51 am Reply

thanks for the motivation you have shared, starting today I am going to follow you path for three months keep up your enthusiasm and spirit

15. Susan Bruce June 12, 2014 at 1:23 am Reply

Good for you:) you are helpful to me in my pre diabetes fight to turn it around